Nevada Gourd Society
Let's Make a Statement!
Patti Jo Newsom
Friday, May 29th
1:30 pm - 5:00 pm
In this class you will learn a fun way to make an elegant statement in the form of a necklace. Several patterns will be provided for you to pick the basic shape of your gourd pendant. You will cut out your pendant from a gourd shard, then pick out a pretty embellishment to inlay. I will teach you how to use wire to create a bale to hang your pendant from leather cording.
Note: If you don't have a name necklace to wear at your gourd patch gatherings, this would be a perfect time to make one!
This class is for all levels of gourders, but students are required to have basic knowledge of how to use their rotary tool (carver) and how to change bits.
I will supply gourd shards, embellishments, dyes, acrylic paints, glues and leather cording. I will have a variety of metallic focal pieces for students to choose. I will supply everything needed for the necklace with the exception of what I have listed below for each student to bring.
What you are required to bring
- A rotary tool (like dremel or Gourd Master carver) with your rotary tool bits including carving bits and a sanding drum. I will have some inexpensive bits you can buy if yours don't work for the project.
- A pencil and good eraser.
- Your small detail paint brushes, if you will be painting details with acrylic paint.
- A wood burner, if you want to do any wood burning on your pendant.
- A dust mask
- Eye protection (safety glasses or glasses that you normally wear)
- A heat tool for drying paints. If you don't have one, I'll bring a couple we can share.
Class Cancellation Policy
If you need to cancel this class, you MUST contact us before May 15, 2020 in order to receive a refund. Note that NGS will withhold $5 to cover processing fees. To cancel, call Patti Jo Newsom at 817-917-7873 or email us at [email protected]
If this class does not meet its minimum number of students by May 15th, the class will be cancelled, you will be contacted, and your registration fee will be refunded.
All classes are subject to change.
About the instructor
Patti Jo Newsom is an active member of the American Gourd Society, Co-founder and Co-chair of the Nevada Gourd Society, Webmaster of the Nevada Gourd Society, and Director of the Pahrump Valley Gourd Patch. She is a certified Gare instructor and over the years she has experimented with a variety of artistic design techniques, painting on canvas, wood, and ceramics. For the past 12 years she has concentrated on her gourd art and teaching classes for those who want to learn her techniques.
Questions about this class?
Contact Patti Jo at: [email protected] or 817-917-7873