Nevada Gourd Society
Ancient Pottery of the Mimbres
Friday, May 29th
9:00 am - 12:30 pm
$45.00 + small processing fee
This class is fun and relaxing and at the same time, a learning opportunity. We will be creating (faux) ancient pottery, an artifact of the prehistoric Mimbres people of New Mexico. For your relic you will select from a number of designs or create your own. After painting the design you'll use your wood burner tool to make cracks, holes and chips-whatever you like-which gives the piece authenticity. We'll distress the gourd with other techniques, too. Your finished piece will fool-the-eye, that is, until it is picked up weighing mere ounces!
The instructor will provide paint and ink, art markers, pastel chalk and charcoal, patterns, and tutorial.
What you are required to bring
Each student is required to bring the following items to class:
- Gourd—a thinner gourd is preferred. You have a choice of a small bottle shape or a bowl (refer to pictures). Clean the outside. For a bowl you need to sand the inside before class. You’ll do well with bowls about 6” diameter and bottles that are 6” or less tall.
- Quality protective dust mask
- Variable temp wood burner tool with pens/tips that can cut (Examples: large skew, Razertip’s Gourd Cutter). The woodburner is used to create cracks. Cracks can also be made with a micromotor carver. Bring a carver if you prefer, understanding the carving portion will be done outside.
- Gloves, apron or work shirt
- Paint brushes—flat is more useful—in sizes ½”, ¾”, 1” or similar
- Hairdryer or heat tool to speed paint drying if you have one on hand
- Water container for washing your paint brushes
- Pencil and eraser
NOTE: If you are interested in making a second Mimbres Pottery project, feel free to bring a second gourd. The classroom will be set up and you are welcome to continue working on your own throughout the afternoon.
Class Cancellation Policy
If you need to cancel this class, you MUST contact us before May 15, 2020 in order to receive a refund. Note that NGS will withhold $5 to cover processing fees. To cancel, call Patti Jo Newsom at 817-917-7873 or email us at [email protected]
If this class does not meet its minimum number of students by May 15th, the class will be cancelled, you will be contacted, and your registration fee will be refunded.
All classes are subject to change.
About the instructor
Gourds have been Chris' canvas since 2007. She paints, wood burns, sculpts, carves and embosses with clay. Her work has received many awards. Nature, wildlife and ancient cultures inspires her. Chris is a member of AGS, Idaho Gourd Society and NGS. She is webmaster and curator of Idaho Gourd Society website and Facebook, respectively. http://chrisinart.com. Chris is also the Treasurer for the American Gourd Society.
Questions about this class?
Email Chris at [email protected]